Sunday, August 24, 2014

Stephen King's Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS

Dear Stephen King,

Yesterday I watched you do the ice bucket challenge to support ALS research for a cure. It was refreshing to watch someone as famous and as successful as you are to step back and do something that was not only fun, being soaked by a bucket of ice water by a friend, but also doing something so serious as helping those who are fighting a debilitating disease like ALS.

I have a coworker who was diagnosed a few months ago with ALS. I did not know it at the time and was wondering why he was only working with one arm. I mentioned the fact in a coaching manner. Luckily he did not become offended by my remark. He just let me know what was causing the issue. Sometimes there are comments we make that we wish we could take back after learning what these people are going through.

I hope that one day they will be able to find a cure for ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease. There are so many people who suffer, who cannot move like you when I can. And not everyone can afford the care that it takes to live with this kind of disease.

Thank you again for giving to this much-needed cause, and challenging your peers to give as well. If we all gave a little bit, whether it be money or time or just a simple prayer, maybe one day they will find a way to give these people their lives back.

No comments:

Post a Comment